Monday, March 3, 2008

A Little Surprise (Part 1)

Last Friday night I decided to stay at home and watch some DVDs (King of California and Eastern Promises) instead of joining the boyfriend and our friends for a birthday party. I wasn't feeling all that well and needed some time to just veg out as my week was pretty crazy, and quite frankly, I looove vegging out.

So there I am in my room, at one with my TV, DVD player and bed, when my mom knocks insistently on my door. Being my mother's daughter, I can tell by the knocking that something's up.

"Yeeeaaaahhh Ma???"
"One of the cats brought back a mouse!"

Oh great, I internally grumble. I'm going to have to pick up and bury yet another poor little field mouse as my mom is absolutely terrified of any and all rodents.

I open the door and my mom is still outside my door, waiting for me and looking very concerned.

"Where's the mouse Ma?"
"It's at the corridor outside.... it's a very cute little white and brown mouse and it's still alive so HURRY UP!"

Cute little white and brown mouse? Huh? The field mice the cats bring home (they don't eat the mice but bring them home already dead to show off I guess) are always dark brown or black. But I suddenly snap out of that thought and realize that one live white and brown mouse + 6 of our resident cats = not good.

I rush out in my (thank goodness) nice panties and t-shirt with a hastily found shoe box and find a HAMSTER with its back to a wall, totally still, surrounded by 6 very curious but luckily well-fed cats.

Fifi, our calico long-haired kitty, was prodding the little hamster inquisitively and thoughts of witnessing a hamster's gruesome decapitation geared me into action. I barged through the half-circle of cats and, bless the little guy, the hamster scampered towards me into the safety of the shoe box I lowered hamster-level. I went back into the house and sighed a huge sigh of relief while clutching the shoe box.

"Ma, it's a HAMSTER!"
"What??? What's it doing outside with the cats???"
"I dunno. Life must have been boring..."

She grinned at that and then expressively forbade me to open the shoe box in her presence (she's terrified remember?). So I went back into my room and took a quick little peek inside the box. Yup, it's a hamster alright.

Can you believe it? And the best part is that I've been bugging my boyfriend to get me a hamster for the last 4 months! I told my friend about this over the weekend and he suggested that I should ask for gold next time. Hehehe.

Anyways, delighted at my good GOOD good luck, I hastened to make the new addition to my family feel more comfortable. I found a large plastic box, an empty toilet roll, a jar cover to serve as a dish, added some sunflower seeds and raisins, shredded some tissue paper and finally unveiled my efforts to the hamster, which my mom had temporarily named Kamikaze.

Whoops, got to go. More of the story soon! (Psst! Check out the link below for some great hamster info)

No comments: